30 days of Instant Noodles

August 1, 2006 6:50 PM

Well not exactly 30 days but I did try. I managed to have instant noodles as one of the meals of the day for 25 days straight. I cheated one day and had roast pork with wonton noodles – it’s still noodles right!? Then I resumed for a few more days and then gave up. :P

The scene on my office desk that started this madness 30 days ago. You wanna fork?

Plastic disposable forks

A selection of what I had throughout this little experiment. Nong Shim and Nissin are my two favourite brands. Two Aussie brands – “SuiMin” and “Fantastic” were not bad too.

Collage of the variety of instant noodles that I had over the past 30 days

You are what you eat – noodles, noodles, noodles.

Me eating instant noodles

Have you got a favourite brand or variety of instant noodles to recommend me? :mrgreen:

42 thoughts on “30 days of Instant Noodles

1. jl

You’re a man after my own heart (or should that be ‘stomach’?), M. Nong Shim and Nissin are my faves, too. I went through a phase last year of eating them every other day, but i had to stop myself because i used to wake up at night feeling oh-so-thirsty! ;)

2. CW

You know, I have never had Nong Shim or Nissin noodles. Usually eat Myojo chicken, Aussie Maggi beef, Aussie Maggi Oriental and have the occasional IndoMie mee goreng. I try not to eat instant noodles too often and like to add choy sum or some other green leafy veg to the bowl to give myself the illusion of eating something with some nutritional value. Now I’m going to have to try those two brands as well…

3. JJJ

yummm….Cup noodles rocks…my favourite indeed….perfect for cold weather yeah??….So….Feeling healthier? Less healthy? Losing hair? Put on weight? What’s the conclusion, or is there one??

OMFG….

Supersize-me going-to-be..

Nowadays consumers are king,instant noodle choices are going off the roof- I just bought a pack of MAMA green tea flavoured tomyum noodle.Don’t know how it tastes like yet – if you can find one in Perth,lets compare notes.

5. Cynthia

seriously! That’s lotsa NOODLES!!!
    If I were you, I would go for detox for weeks mannn!! Let the chemicals in the stomach drained out frommy stomach, and then eat again. Ekeke.
    My favorite ..Cintan, Maggi (curry), Nissin, Mama, and some other Korean/Japanese ones..too much, cannot recall.
    By the way, is this one of the problem causing constipation? =D

jl: heh. thirsty yes, which is why I try to eat them only for lunch.

Kate: not quite. Was only one meal a day. Not too drastic.

trespasser: I don’t particularly like the dry-type instant noodles. One is either a lover of those, or of the soupy types. No in-between.

CW: hehe. The illusion of healthy eating. Yes yes I used to do that too. These days I just add an egg and make sure I have a banana after for the fibre. Hahah!

JJJ: there’s no conclusion to this. No point either. Was just something to do. :P

sourrain: Green tea tomyum. Woo, how exotic. Ok I’m gonna go hunt those down.

Cynthia: Let I said, once a day only. It wasn’t every meal like in “Supersize Me”. I feel the same. Constipation? Don’t have it. Bananas are my friend.

7. herman

MEE GORENG !!!! DUHHH !!!!

There’s a way to cook it. That’s to cook it first, then, drop and egg in it, before it’s fully cooked. drain it , mix with the sauces. You will get Egg Mee Goreng…..

Damn nice okay ! :P :P :P

ps: I always buy mee goreng by the box.

8. virgin_undergrad

30 days of instant noodles… haha are u trying to steal morgan spurlock’s rice bowl or should i say ‘noodle bowl’

sigh…eating one meal of instant noodles per day is standard fare for us poor students living near hampden, especially after Mix closed =(

9. Leonard

if you have the chance, shld try instant noodles from taiwan.

when i was there, i ate the beef noodle soup, there’s really beef inside…real beef, no joke!

i like those specs fog up pictures!!! :)

10. ian

In that case, I’m more on the side of IndoMie… with the eggs, onions and even meat and spring onions!

As for soup noodles, Nong Shim is the one to go! However, I noticed a fair bit of difference between the Nong Shim cup noodles and the packet ones. I prefer the packet ones – they seem to contain more flavour, dunno why.

I haven’t had Nissin for ages. Perhaps I should get some the next time I go shopping in Asian groceries, they’re cheaper than Coles or Safeway.

herman: drain it *after* you’ve mixed the egg in? Interesting technique but I still don’t eat it. Hahah.

v.u.: well the idea partly stemmed from him and also my colleague saying, “you should take photos of yourself eating instant noodles.” *bing!*

Leonard: oh I’ve tried those and also some with chicken. But they are hard to find in these parts, only two stores seem to sell them here in Perth.

ian: I’d say the noodles in the packet ones are better though the flavour is similar for me. And yes Asian groceries are more expensive in Coles or Safeway.

damion: yes the bane of a noodle eater. Heheh.

kenJJ: actually instant noodle tech has come a long way baby! Lotsa interesting varieties across SE/East Asia.

12. Rob

Hey cool. any chance you could post your instant noodle mooi ratings.
    I’m always keen to try something something different. anyway my vote for the old indo-mee mee-goreng (regular not the premium stuff).

marina: I understood the Malay – am from KL. You like the dry stuff too? A lot of fans here.

Rob: erm ratings? Too difficult. I’d just list the favourites from this experiment: Nissin XO Sauce, Nissin Tonkatsu, Nong Shim Kimchi Cup, SuiMin Curry Laksa, Fantasic BBQ Beef.

Go to the Chinese shop in Kardinya Park – lotsa selections there.

Lupin: woohoo, WINNAR!

The preferred choice after many-a-drunken nights is for Maggimee goreng ayam , with a side dish of tomyum bihun

Either I can REALLY eat or I just can’t decide whether I prefer the soupy or dried noodles.

Sigh.I remember the days when I had choices.Now I just eat greasy chow mein.

15. cupcakequeen

Okies, once in a long while, I like to add abalone slices to tomyam instant noodles with ginger, onions, mushrooms and lots of chili padi added in. It tastes awfully yummy! But it’s the most expensive instant noodles that I’ve ever cooked. Try it! :P

16. trauloft72

since you’re into soupy based IN, you can try this one, Indomie: Curly Noodles With Grilled Chicken Flavor. Even in Indonesia, this item demand
    quite intensive search and very pricey too compared to ‘ordinary’ Indonesian IN.
    A friends of mine said around their neighbourhood this Indomie would cost them about Rp.3500 for one package. that’s very pricey since usually IN are sells
    at Rp.1000 or Rp.1200 (for Kare Mie)

probably the best thing about this
    variant is, that it gives you the freedom to either eat it as ramen or with soup, since the soup are to be
    serve separately.

read more on this link

kongkongna: erm it was ok. I didn’t get sick or anything. It was only one meal a day, and not everyday. But I stop eating them for a while after that – I got bored with it. :)

18. Pingback: exordinarily ordinary

19. kakikopi

nice. i love instant noodles too. especially tomyam from thailand. in fact, i’ve been having instant noodles almost every day since i was thirteen, and i’m still healthy :)

20. Siree

Hi there! I’d like to recommend to you our functional instant noodles – a healthier option for you since you seem to consume a lot of instant noodles! Specifically, I’d like you to check out our Power Bowl. It’s in a hot and sour shrimp flavor instant noodle with L-carnitine – that helps turn fat into muscle. Now that’s something you can have 30 days straight and feel a positive difference. We also have Beauty Bowl, Kid Bowl, and Green Bowl. Our line of functional instant noodles are totally new. They’re due to launch here in Thailand next month. I’d love to hear some comments about what you think about our concept! Thanks!

21. aiza

mmmm noodles. did you do this to save money…? Because this is definitely not for health reasons.

Try this: I like to cook the regular ramen noodles, drain them, and mix them with butter and pepper.

22. Aria

All right Mooi, your post intrigued me so I’m raiding the food pantry for my favourites. Unlike the usual “saving money theory,” instant noodles are a tradable delicacy at our house, mainly because we are all youngest kids whose parents aren’t really bothered to fedex stuff all the way to the U.S.

“You want Maggie Mee? Why don’t you finish your degree first lah, then come back and eat.”

1. KOKA “Spicy Singapore Fried Noodles”
    2. Ibumee “Penang Har Mee”
    3. A1 “Bak Kut Teh Noodle”
    4. Sapporo Ichiban “Kitsune Udon”
    5. Sun Shun Fuk “Ho Fan Abalone & Chicken Soup Flavored”

I hope you enjoy trying out these new flavours!

Aria: we love #2 in our house. As for the others, I haven’t tried them before but I will definitely look for them now. Unless you are in smalltown USA, you can get a good variety in the Asian groceries right?