Back in stinking hot Perth

January 5, 2009 6:36 PM

My parents and I landed in Perth 7am this morning from a 6-hour Air Asia X flight from KL. We had trouble getting a good stretch of sleeping, so all of us felt hazy and lazy and more than a little bit grumpy at each other.

When we got home, I unpacked my dirty clothes, freshened up a little and then drove to the boarding kennels to pick up Snoop. Seeing our house, driving my car on Australian roads and playing with Snoop again was a little bit surreal.

I always feel that way after a long holiday. In the past 14 days I’ve been in Singapore, China and Malaysia experiencing a different way of life, eating different foods (lots of it) and encountering and meeting up with different people. And now I’m back in good old Perth which is stinking hot at the moment with a maximum temp of 36° today. I’ll blog about my trip over the coming few days and weeks, whilst interspersing them with posts about my “normal” life.

Oh, I was also greeted by two surprises at home. The kind folks at Zing PR sent me a package of Glaceau Vitamin Water to try out. I will write my review later this week once I’ve tasted the three varieties that they’d sent.

The other surprise was that bees decided to set up a hive in the family’s BBQ. My brother had called the pest controller and that was taken care of this afternoon. Watching a guy in full bee suit clearing out the bees in my backyard was bizarre.

All of which, plus the fatigue, the heat and the jarring sense of having to fit back into my normal routine added to the sense of surrealism that is “home sweet home”. Bitter sweet feeling for sure.

10 thoughts on “Back in stinking hot Perth

1. Katie

Welcome back! I bet Snoop is VERY happy to see you! Hopefully the bees don’t come back – lucky the BBQ wasn’t fired up or you might have had a not-so-nice homecoming haha!

He was! When I got to his kennel, he was already barking like mad and when he got out, he jumped around and kept on licking me. As for the BBQ, my brother was smart enough to notice something wasn’t quite right when he saw bees flying in and around the BBQ. 🙂

Yep, it’s always weird returning home after a holiday, hey? The longer you’re away, the weirder it is and the harder it is to fit back into ‘normal’ life. People who spend years overseas then come home always comment on how hard it is to settle back into life in their home city. Hope you had a great holiday though and look forward to reading about it!!

4. blur ting

Wow, and I thought it is hot enough in Singapore! I like to be back home after being after for a while. Nothing beats being in your own home and seeing your pet again. The first few days always suck because of the laundry and stuff to put away.

5. Clarasays

Welcome back MOOI!

Think bees sweetening up your barbie is bad.. I almost gagged (whilst laughing) at XX’s maggot filled fridge – even if you’re not big on the girl, that post was funny: think that accident was so bad I can’t help but look scale of funny.

girlstar7: yes it all feels very weird – it feels like I’m not really here. I did have a great holiday though.

blur ting: it’s true – I did start to look forward to coming home towards the end of the trip.

nadnut: thanks!

Clara: haha thanks for the heads up on XX’s post. I must admit, that was one entertaining read.

sourrain: heh thank you for the birthday wish! And yeah the barrage of posts will be evenly posted over the coming weeks.

herman: yes I’ve seen the pics but nope mine wasn’t as bad. And there weren’t honey combs.

As for Summadayze, I heard that it was absolutely fabulous. 🙂