Let me start off by stating the following:
- If you blog, don’t whinge about privacy.
- If you do worry about privacy, use a pseudonym and no specifics – especially those involving your work. You can still rant without stating names, places and dates & times. And no photos. Ever.
Having said all that, I am 100% comfortable with my blog. Comfortable enough to post pictures, talk honestly about certain things and tell friends & family about it. I am not worried about my employment status either. The reasons why are:
- My politics: I don’t spout extreme left or right-wing views. I’m conservative on some issues and I’m liberal on other issues.
- I have liberal views on immigration, health, education, poverty and aid-relief to other countries.
- I have conservative views on crime, unemployment benefits, and the WoT.
I’m v. centrist.
- Sex: you can guess my sexual orientation from my stories and the way I say “girls” in my posts. But I never reveal sexual likes and dislikes and I don’t go into details. This topic is highly subjective. I don’t want strangers judging me “normal”, “dull” or “a freak” so I don’t talk about these things. Bravo and more power to bloggers like Sarong Party Girl.
In any case, this area of my life is so dry right now I got nothing to talk about anyway. And yeah, pun definitely intended.
- I don’t bite the hand that feeds me: I don’t talk about work at all. That way there is no compelling reason to fire me, and I don’t burn bridges. Nor do I poison my future employment prospects in the industry that I work in. Even if I quit the industry, future employers may judge my work attitude using this. For an example of what not to do, check out Queen of the Sky.
If I must talk about work, I’ll emulate re | me. She does it well and oh-so-anonymously. Unless you can guess who she is by looking at this:
Then again that might not be her. It might just be XiaXue.
Somewhere out there, someone just spat out their latte. Or maybe a macchiato or an espresso – re | me strikes me as someone who drinks strong coffee. Umm, yeah.
- No dirty laundry: I don’t slag off friends or family. Nor do I reveal dirty secrets. I cherish their presence in my life and I value their trust in me. If I have any misgivings, I deal with them away from here.
Plus my mom just figured out how to use the Net … love last night’s dinner mom! Laksa tomorrow?
In conclusion, blog safely and wisely. The caution that you should exercise with e-mails applies to blogs as well. Think before you hit that “Publish” button – is this going to come back and bite me in the ass? Leave the extreme openness and exhibitionism to the uber extroverts – they deal with the consequences better.
Inspiration for this entry came from CW’s entry of which she got the inspiration for from here. *ahem* Why thank you. Thank you very much.