I have to credit StarryLuvly’s post about her encounter at a restaurant here in Perth for giving me the idea for mine. Thanks! 🙂
I’m talking strictly from my own personal experiences but I’m sure this has happened to a lot of you out there. The way some of us S’poreans/M’sians, especially the elder folks talk can be quite grating sometimes. And I know the grammer is bad, but it’s actually how it is. Don’t know what I mean?
When meeting another S’porean/M’sian for the first time …
- Oh, you are from S’pore/M’sia too? Which part? How long have you been here? You like it here?
- What are you doing now? Business? Where you working? Your wife? She stay at home now?
- You golf ah?
- Where your kids studying? Oh my son/daughter/nephew/niece/bastard child is studying at so-and-so university.
- What’s yours studying? Oh mine is studying to be a doctor/lawyer/accountant/engineer/dentist. (the holy quintet of career choices for Asian kids)
- How do you find the food here? Food back home better yar?
When you have nothing better to say and you bump into them at a …
- Shopping Mall: shopping ah?
- Restaurant: lunch/dinner ah?
- Out on the streets: hahng kai ah? (literal translation from Cantonese: walk street?)
- On their travels in a totally different country: sek fung ah? (literal translation from Cantonese: eat wind? To mean: out seeing the world)
Ah then?! (Duh!)
When all else fails, talk about the kids …
- Wah, how old already? So big/tall/handsome/pretty har?
- When I last saw you, you were so small only. *gestures with hands*
Remember uncle/aunty or not?
(not literally “Uncle” or “Aunt” but a term used for your parents’ friends or elders)
- Got girlfriend/boyfriend already or not? Aiyah, don’t be so picky lah!
- How long you with your girlfriend/boyfriend already? Wah so long already ah? When you getting married?
- Married how long already? About time to have kids huh? I’m sure your parents would like some grandchildren by now.
- *sees my mobilephone/watch/misc. bling-bling*
Wah so nice yar?
*to my parents* Kids today so lucky isn’t it?
How much ah?
You got more? 🙂