Anonymous flaming

November 15, 2005 10:02 PM

There’s this saying that goes like this:

A drunk man’s words are a sober man’s thoughts.

The same can be said about anonymous flamers – he or she will only say those things because of anonymity.

However when you are on the Net, you are never truly anonymous. IPs can be noted, screen captures can be made, and time-stamps can be compared. At times a little investigative work can reveal several commentators to be the same person – multiple personas were created to either stoke the fire or to lend credence to what had been argued earlier.

Why? I can’t really answer that. But to each their own eh? I will just stick to arguing on the facts.

On a related note, there’s a funny site categorising the different kinds of flamers called “Flame Warriors” – I didn’t know there’s so many! (Hat tip: Adrian)

12 thoughts on “Anonymous flaming

1. ~*Starryluvly*~

Thankfully, my life is too dull to have flamers bombing my comments section. lol.

Seriously tho, anon comments (regardless of whether they’re negative or positive) piss me off. Sometimes I just want to keep in touch with the commenter, or email them back… but I just can’t because there’s no way I can get hold of them!!! grr.

2. mooiness

No kidding – am thinking I should disallow anonymous comments from now on. 😉

I did it for a while during that whole XX bru-haha becoz too many anons were just spewing out personal attacks instead of arguing logically.

3. louyau-mike

where’s the point of anonymous? I thought anonymous were there to be proved their non-existence yet … they has been there using the anonymity to proves they actually “does exist”? Oh … i shall sing “ironic”

4. Kenny Sia

Tell me about it. The best way, of course, is not to get affected by anonymous commenters. Because if they can’t reveal themselves then they have no credibility.

That’s partially the reason why I respond to your criticism, Marcus, and that’s why I respect your opinion. Because you’re human.

On the other hand, if you were a faceless, anonymous person on the Internet, I probably wouldn’t give as much attention.

Though I do think ppl give the power of IP addresses a little bit too much credit. I told XX when she was in that ‘Banning IP addresses’ stage that her strategy will never work, since most IP addresses are dynamic, and most ppl in the same building/institution or even the same residential area shares the same IP address. She’ll end up banning a lot of innocent ppl, and she did, and ppl cry foul, and anonymous flamers still can get through after their IP address refreshes.

Lucky she stopped banning IPs altogether.

It takes a CIA expert to utilise IP addresses to track down a specific person. Ordinary ppl just don’t have the means to do it. Think about the hacker who hacked XX’s blog, the ‘good man’ who posted racist comments on Mack and Peter Tan’s blog, the ‘Anwar’ who landed Jeff Ooi into hot water. All anonymous cowards. All wanted persons. Wanted, but never caught.

5. mooiness

louyau: hahah man I can just imagine you singing it already. And yes what you say makes sense.

kenny: point taken. T’was a rant – also something that my non-blogging friends can’t really comprehend either. “Why spent all that energy on it?”

6. Curtis G.

Sometimes you just gotta say something, and saying it in a Word file just isn’t satisfying enough. 🙂

Just wanted to say thanks for being a faithful reader. I’ll check in with you when I can. And in case I neglected to say it before, if you ever come to California, you better call me! Dinner (and target shooting, if you’re interested) is on me. 😀