For reference, follow the links in my previous post.
- From two groups of society, add into the mix minorities from both who have not learnt to accept each other.
- Simmer for a prolonged period.
- Bring to a boil by a random act of violence.
- Throw in a media that is all too willing to portray the story along racial lines.
- For extra kick, have racists that don’t even live in the area crawl out of the woodwork, looking for any excuse to spew and act on their vitriol.
- Top it off with alcohol and mob mentality.
- Serve bloody rare.
- At this stage, you can add the police into it as an afterthought or garnish.
- Address the underlying distrust between the groups with community involvement, education and mutual interaction.
- Tame the media to be more colour blind, more objective.
- Increased police presence and involvement in the community to ease the tension between groups and to serve as in-between.
- Louts will be louts. Provide alternatives to idleness and loitering because “idle hands do the devil’s work”.
- Arrest those who incites violence or behave anti-socially – nip it in the bud instead of letting it fester.