“Maid cafes” in Akihabara

February 7, 2006 12:17 PM

From CNN.com – Maids rule in Japan’s nerd nirvana – Feb 6, 2006:

In the cafes, girls dressed in frilly frocks inspired by comic-book heroines wait hand and foot on customers, mostly male, who might have once been obsessed with naughty schoolgirls and nurses.

At one cafe, maids get down on their knees to stir the cream and sugar into the customer’s coffee.

At Royal Milk, diners can follow up a meal with a range of grooming services, including ear cleanings.

Maids at some of the more attentive shops even offer to spoon-feed customers at their table.

Woohoo. There’s something forbiddenly misogynistic about being served by women. And it’s so enticing. In Perth, there are male barber shops which only hire pretty young girls. And guess what? It works because men are such simple creatures.

Too bad these “maid cafes” weren’t around when I was in Akihabara 5 years back. Damn I’ve missed out.

Stumbled upon via Digg.

21 thoughts on ““Maid cafes” in Akihabara

1. mooiness

michael: yup I know about those. But really it could have been worn by an old woman and they could have just put a picture of some random unknown picture of a schoolgirl. Even then, there are still men who’d buy it. 😛

2. the virgin undergrad

haha, speaking about hot chicks working in hair saloons in perth. there’s this hot vietnamese chick who works in Top Image, and to be fair, she’s definitely one of the better hairdressers around there so it certainly isn’t all sex that they sell, though at the risk of sounding chauvinistic, i think her bf who’s the lone male hairdresser there is by far the best of the lot =)

3. Darkharf

I hope when I go back there in May, they will have half naked hunks carrying swords and guns serving milk and tea to women… nevermind the weapons are real or not, as long as the hunks are real… Red unkept hair with pony tail lagi better… hahahahhaah

4. mooiness

yuuka: ok browsed through more of your writings and saw the pics. Am guessing that your mom is Muslim (Malay?) and your dad is Japanese? And you grew up in Singapore. Wow. What a cultural hotpot you are. 🙂

5. Yuuka

Yes, she`s Malay and many of our relatives are in Malaysia/Indonesia. I`m in Perth studying for the last stretch of my school life. We should probably meet up one day. Are you going to be here forever? Plus.. What are you doing at my journal! * :O *

6. mooiness

yuuka: you’re in Perth! 0_0′ !!!

Hehe yeah we should meet up one day. Since I’m not studying, my free time would be more flexible. Whenever you are free. 🙂 Nadia (@ Starryluvly) is in Perth too so we can maybe do a group meet up.

What am I doing over at your journal? Erm reading it! What else!? 😛

How did you stumble onto mine in the first place? 🙂

7. Yuuka

I only write personal crap you know.. Nothing of public interest. So paiseh (thus the non-linkage).

Hey, I read her blog from time to time too! I started reading your blog after following your link from a comment you left in Kenny Sia`s blog (some entry about terrorists? We pretty much had the same views).

8. mooiness

yuuka: and you think I write stuff of public interest? Hahah I thank you for “looking-me-up”. I’m paiseh now. Haha!

Ah that infamous terrorist “joke” that he did. I remember it well. 😉