As agreed previously with Blinkymummy, I believe that the essential attraction to any place that you’d visit is the people living there. I can appreciate monuments, architecture and art but they don’t hold my fascination for very long. Most of the time, I’d stare at them for a little while, take the obligatory photo and move on.
What does hold my fascination endlessly are the people and how they live. If you’ve watched Lonely Planet’s Six Degrees, this concept of avoiding the tourist traps and living amongst the locals would instantly be recognisable.
So let’s get down to my list of things that I’d fit on an itenary for friends and relatives who would come from abroad or interstate, and visit me here in Perth:
- Treat them to a home-cook meal by my mom at my parents’ home – mom agreeing. 😉
- Sit down for a coffee and people-watch in Garden City, my local shopping centre. Or go grocery shopping in the supermarket near my place.
- Browse the little shops in Subiaco and watch the well-to-do fashionable hipsters.
- Fish-n-chips in Fremantle – Cicerello’s or Kailis. Pub hop at The Sail & Anchor and Little Creatures nearby. Coffee on the cappucino strip.
- Yum-cha/dim-sum in Northbridge. Or Vietnamese food.
- Coffee (again!) and people-watching in the heart of the city near Forrest Chase.
- Visiting the wine estates in Swan Valley – only if they are into wines, otherwise the 1-hour drive there would just feel like a drag.
- Happy hour drinks on a Friday at Belgian Beer Cafe amongst corporate city workers in suits and ties, and casual wear.
- Wine-bar, pubs and clubbing in Northbridge on Friday and Saturday nights.
- Japanese food at Matsuri.
- Sunday lunch and drinks (Sunday session) at Cottesloe Beach Hotel, otherwise known as The Cott.
Enjoy clicking on the links! Yes these are all places in and around the city – I don’t dig visiting the country-side. Swan Valley is the furthest that I’d go. And I do know that a lot of my activities revolve around drinking and eating. 😛
Fellow Perthites, or those of you who have lived in Perth before, share your tips in the comments. 🙂
Update 17th February 9:20AM
In addition to leaving out Italian food and Corrica’s apple strudels, I’ve also left out this:
- Go watch my cousin’s band The Colors perform live if they are playing.