Bad Driver Stereotypes

April 6, 2006 1:32 PM

On the way to work this morning, I came across the holy trinity of bad driver stereotypes:

• Asian
  • Woman
  • Volvo

I only avoided slamming on my brakes because I anticipated what she was gonna do when she started drifting into my lane. She didn’t signal and I don’t think she even bothered to check her blind spot. So I was behind for a while and a few minutes later, she pulled the same shit again! The other car was almost side by side with hers and couldn’t get out of the way or slow down like I did.

When she realised this, she did a jerk-and-swerve and narrowly avoided driving into the other car.

I would cringe whenever I see bad Asian drivers on the road because I know it confirms the stereotype about us. Even worse when it’s a combination of ALL the stereotypes.

15 thoughts on “Bad Driver Stereotypes

1. Rob

she’ll get bonus points for being over 65.
    after car-sitting a volvo before, I believe that part of the “Volvo driver” legend is caused by the car itself.
    I’ve never driven another car with such huge blind spots everywhere. The pillars of the car are so darn thick (for safety!) that it blocks your road vision. Hence leading to accidents like the one you barely avoided.

rob: yeah well in that case Volvo drivers should compensate for that and make sure that they check their blindspot, instead of not! 😉

YS: the blindspot is defined as the area next to your car that is not reflected in your sideview mirrors. For example, a lot of accidents happen when a driver looks in their sideview mirror, sees no car in it and swerves into the path of a car in the blindspot.

A truck or a 4WD would have a bigger blindspot so the safe thing to do is not to stay in another vehicle’s blindspot for too long.

kynne: so you are saying that she probably drove so fast that when she bang into the car in front of hers, that car bang into the car in front of it. And because of this, the two cars behind hers slammed into each other and hers.

*phew* Boy that woman is a terrible driver then. 😛

5. virgin_undergrad

wah, din know about the Volvo stereotype. would it be that Volvo’s reputation for being sturdy gives drivers a false sense of security?

shit…better start getting insurance.

erm, just a question. for multi-car pile-ups. does a third party insurance cover all the damages to the other cars?

the v.u.: yes the false sense of security lulls them into driving carelessly.

Re: 3rd party insurance – Technically it should. But yours won’t be.

7. JJJ

hehe… Remember I am an Asian woman who used to drive a volvo in Perth?? eermm…what can i say, you must be glad to see one less of such driver on perth road then.. haha…oh well, at least I didnt have bull bar on my volvo!

jjj: err yeah …. u fit the stereotypes! Well I’m sure you have improved over these yrs. Hahahha!

loong: oh shit yeah 4WD soccer mommies. I despise them too.