Maybe Dawn is not that bad afterall

May 5, 2006 8:53 AM

First things first, I don’t hate Dawn like I do Xiaxue. I just felt that if she had come clean with her personal “enhancements” then we wouldn’t have had all that furore last year. Having said that, I don’t think she deserved all that flak because at least she can comment on the Singaporean elections (this Saturday!) eloquently.

From her post:

If I were a taxpayer, I would want my contribution of that $100 million to go to estates that need it the most, not just PAP constituencies. And I would want to see my money being spent to upgrade lifts for the older estates, instead of going into the big fat pockets of ministers.

Meanwhile Asia’s most popular blogger’s last post contained yet another bashing of “foreign workers” (I really hate that term, because technically so am I here in Australia). I’m not saying what she described does not happen but she likes highlighting these kind of stories to stir up emotions even more, and she has a track record of being racist. Don’t just take my word for it, the New York Magazine in their article about the blogosphere said:

Self-absorbed travails of twentysomething lovelorn Wendy Cheng. Famous in Singapore, she has also been criticized as racist and xenophobic.

So even far away good “foreigners” (because they are white, see?) who don’t delve into the Singaporean blogosphere like we do, and who don’t hate her just because she’s famous or beautiful (erm, debatable) can see her words for what they are. Words. A blog is made up of WORDS, innit?

Xiaxue can jump up and down about us being jealous or wanting hits but I shall say this one more time: we hate her because of what she writes and the harm she can potentially do to young impressionable minds. Though some ppl who have come across her in real life don’t think much of her either. πŸ˜‰

[tags]Singaporean elections, Singaporean politics, Dawn Yang, Xiaxue[/tags]

13 thoughts on “Maybe Dawn is not that bad afterall

1. Leonard

i just happen to check on dawn page today and surprise that you returned to blog…enuff to make my day with the few photographs and writeups.

with regards to xx, reading it, really reminds me of the lady i saw this past sunday when i was eating spicy steamboat..same issue, same reaction, go and read abt it on my blog.

although she’s small size, she thinks big..just imagine when she was toking abt izzy on having a foreign bf..that she was…the same league…what goes round comes around πŸ™‚

2. CherryRipe

I know i’m pretty shallow myself, but XX’s blog is beyond…! I decided to follow her posts for a couple of months just to see what the fuss was about, and i felt myself getting stupider each time i read it. Yeah, so i blame her for the general decline of my grey matter recently. I’ve since stopped reading but i fear i’m done myself irreparable damage.

3. spinnee

I only visited XX’s blog 4 times.

Her views are too shallowed and very self opinionated. And when I learnt she set up hate blogs to pple who are threatening her position as some blog queen, I got quite disgusted.

Have to agree with you, There’s nothing that bad about Dawn, pple just wanna some honesty (though she’s not accountable to everyone, but it’s a fact she tried to lead pple on in some issues). At least, I dun get some brain-sore reading her blog.

By the way Herman, XX’s not really that pretty! It’s her makeup & photoshop skills that superb! Even I have to take my hat off her in that thick wayang makeup: I can never get that far unless some makeup artist help me! hwahhaha πŸ˜›

Leonard: hypocritical is the one word that you can use about XX. πŸ˜‰

Herman: heheh what Spinnee said. πŸ˜›

Cherry: don’t worry – the damage is not irreparable. I’m living proof of that. πŸ˜€

Spinnee: XX’s views are very self-absorbed, like she’s entitled to anything and everything. That in itself is not that bad until she spouts vile opinions which her young fans just lap up without questioning it.

So yes Dawn is better than XX in that respect. πŸ˜‰

5. beatrice

XX’s fan are surely blind. Her behavior is downright deplorable alot of the time, esp the setting up of the hate blogs. disgusting..

Dawn can express her political views excellently, but as for XX she’d probably want the govt. to make her the blog queen of parliament or ban foreign workers or something!

I like Dawn and i don’t see why you would even call her ‘bad’ in the first place. She has done nothing wrong and it was the green-eyed monsters, gossip mongers, traffic-whoring bloggers and word-twisting tabloid reporter who beat her down. All she did was keep mum about whether she had surgery or not (maybe her management forced her to?) and ppl started saying she denies it.. seriously i find it ridiculous why she has to answer to them at all about a trivial issue. I myself wouldn’t mind getting a nose job and I can imagine i’d be sure as hell pissed if strangers yelled in my face “own up!u did it didn’t u?!u’re bad!”

Put all that aside i think she’s a really beautiful, smart, sweet n rather artistic girl. enjoy her blog.
    Definitely a world apart from that *urgh* XX!

Cynthia: wah, succint summary. Even though Dawn’s body and looks are man-made but yes, she does have a brain. πŸ˜‰

Beatrice: Good points. Btw the “bad” in my post title is meant rhetorically, I never said she was bad. Whatever I have written about Dawn in the past can be seen below these comments.

7. suanie

“Don’t just take my word for it, the New York Magazine in their article about the blogosphere said”

hehe that’s funny. btw I saw your photo on robin wong’s site, you are quite cute leh! πŸ˜›

8. suanie

Sorry lah mate, you were using blogspot what… and it was kinda difficult to navigate within blogspot… but i did check out your archives here, and saw your many many photos πŸ˜› πŸ˜› πŸ˜›