A man ahead of his time

July 21, 2006 8:16 AM

A remarkable man, he:

• Placed an importance on education for every one of his children, including his daughters of which he had seven.
  • Sent 5 of his 10 children to study in Australia in the 60s.
  • Allowed one daughter to study fashion design in Sydney.
  • Allowed another to marry a Caucasian.
  • Once said this, “Love a man or love a woman, I just want you to be happy.”

Quite progressive for a man born in 1916. Who was he? He was my grandfather. And the daughter who studied fashion design? She is my mother.

Grandma and Grandpa, with first aunty Jennifer. Circa 1941.

Grandma and grandpa with first aunty Jennifer, circa 1941.

9 thoughts on “A man ahead of his time

Grandpa Moo very powderfull..especially the last line,which in his times,would’ve been considered no less than complete utter madness

Although the marrying a caucasian and studying fashion design in Sydney (especially a daughter!) does come a close second and third

yeahloh. I only know about the last one recently, but the rest are impressive on their own. Usually education for daughters are not emphasised, and even then overseas education for them was unheard of.

I remember stories of years gone by, where women are always viewed as baby making machines and women with an education surpassing STPM is unheard of . Bravo Granpa Moo

As a woman, my mother always tell me to be independant no matter what happens. Earn your own money,have your own life and this can only be achieved by education. It is a powerful tool. And then, typical of my mater, she now tells me that sometimes I can’t be so blatantly independant ..cos men likes to ”think” they are in control.

MouahahHAhaha!

yes – education to have something to fall back on. Heheh and what your mom said about giving your man face, she so clever. But I don’t care lah, if my woman is smarter than me all the better. Cos then ppl would think what’s a smart girl like her doing with him? He must have *something* else. Wahahah! :mrgreen:

wow, your grandpa sounded like a very progressive man. I am really impressed that in his day and age he would have such liberal views. especially that last one. if I ever have kids, I will always support them no matter what they do, and just want them to be happy. sounds like that’s how your grandpa was, and I hope I project the same values on my own children (if I have them).

girlstar7: basically set ground rules, and be ready to catch them when they make mistakes. I think that’s the best way to bring up a child. Easier said than done I’m sure. 😉

7. Pingback: Mooiness! » Getting in touch with our Chinese selves