Dogs mauled girl to death but I still blame the parents

July 21, 2006 1:34 PM

A 4-yr old girl was mauled to death in Dubbo, NSW by three hunting dogs that were trained to hunt and kill wild pigs. The girl had made her way into her neighbour’s compound and approached the dogs. Two of the dogs were chained up, while one was roaming free. In the frenzied attack that followed, the two dogs that were chained up broke free.

The dog’s owner is a neighbour and family friend. The owner’s dad said that the dogs, any dogs should not be trusted. The dogs would most likely be put down. How did the girl end up wandering by herself? The mother had lost track of her for at least 4 hours during the day.

With the facts out of the way, here’s my thoughts:

• Small children should never be left alone with dogs, big or small. Especially not with dogs that are trained and rewarded for being violent. They may behave themselves with a few adults around but a small child will be treated as inferior or a prey by dominant and powerful dogs.
  • Ever seen two dogs play and how they would snap at each other? Dogs have powerful jaws and on a small child, one snap in the wrong place is all that’d take to kill the child.
  • Ban aggressive breeds? Even friendly breeds like the Dalmation and Golden Retriever can kill. What about cross-breeds? Where do you draw the line?
  • Why was a 4 year old child left to wander on her own, outside of the house in the late evening? What the hell are the parents doing?

Trust turns to tragedy: a little angel lost in backyard attack – National – Sydney Morning Herald

At last count, the story at News.com.au has attracted close to 400 comments. Most of them lay the blame squarely on the parents. I’m glad to see that there are more people with common sense than not.

8 thoughts on “Dogs mauled girl to death but I still blame the parents

1. Larawannabe

uuuhhhh… i HATE it when one started to blame animals, which were breed and/or train to behave in such a way, when mishap happens. humans are the one who supposedly have brains here.

i’ll be blaming the parents too, and the dogs shouldnt be punish for doing what they’re programmed to do.

2. JL

Domestication and breeding are myths. Animals are animals are animals. Even humans are animals and forgo all their reasoning sometimes. We shouldn’t be leaving children with animals, unsupervised. Talk about asking for it.

I heard about this and it’s absolutely shocking. that poor little girl. I agree with all previous comments; you can’t blame an animal, they don’t have logical thought the way humans do. where the fuck were the parents when all this happened? I mean, who would leave a FOUR year old unsupervised?!

girlstar7: I heard that charges may be laid against the dogs’ owner. Frankly I think that’s a case of the law being applied inappropriately. The dogs did not break free from their compound; it was the girl who went *to* them.

The parents should definitely try to persuade the police to go easy on their neighbour – that’s the least that they can do.

5. Pingback: Mooiness! » No matter how much you love your dog, it’s still a dog

6. Katie

I just wanted to comment, I know this is an old post, but my parents always brought me up to be aware that dogs can attack, and should be approached with caution, especially if it’s not your dog. Maybe if the parents of this girl had stressed that point to her, she might have been more reluctant to approach them. I also echo the fact that the parents should have been in control of the situation, and to leave her on her own, outside, is ridiculous. 🙁

Katie: that’s a good idea to educate children from young. Dogs should not be treated as toys, even if it belongs to your parents.

As for the mother who let her 4-year old daughter out wandering around on her own, well … no excuses there.