I submitted my previous post, “Your credit card can earn you money” to Darren Rowse’s latest group writing project over at Problogger.net. On the list of submissions there were also similar “ways-to-save-money” type of posts. Three of them are:
- Free Money Finance: The 10 Best Money Moves You Can Make
- Mighty Bargain Hunter » Fifteen easy ways to save fifteen bucks
- 10 Ways to Immediately Start Saving Money » The Making It Big Blog
A lot of them are pretty much common sense and what I am going to list here will overlap with those in the posts above. So here’s how I save money everyday …
- Cut back on the takeaway coffees and donuts. I used to have this every work day and now I don’t. Money saved, and empty calories avoided.
- Combine several car trips into one and achieve more with each trip.
- Maintain my car at regular intervals, thus ensuring if there’s a problem it doesn’t become a bigger problem. Plus the car is more efficient with new oil in the engine.
- Drive smoothly and don’t speed. Save fuel and avoid speeding tickets.
- I pay for parking instead of driving round and round looking for free parking.
- Do I really read all those magazines? Hmm, not really.
- When an item is on sale at the supermarkets, buy more of it. Especially non-perishables like dog food, toothpaste, laundry detergents etc.
- Eat at home more. Cook more of items that keep well – pasta, curries, and fried rice, so that I can …
- Take the leftovers to lunch at work.
- I don’t binge drink at the pubs and clubs. I drink to enjoy it and not to get wasted.
- I get medical and car insurance. Accidents happen.
- This is kind of a recursive thing but I save money by spending within my means and not overspending. Incurring debt means incurring interest.
- I think twice if I have to borrow money to buy it or if I have to take on an installment purchase plan, even if I can afford the repayments. Do I really need it, or do I just want it?
- There’s no shame in wearing underwear from K-Mart or Target.
- No shame in using coupons either.
- I call out with my mobile phone during off-peak hours, and SMS other times unless urgent.
How do you save money on a daily basis?
[tags]budgetting, life tips[/tags]