Hot chicks in tech

August 29, 2006 7:23 PM

This is Joey Wan who works for Stirr in San Francisco. Stirr does meetups for tech startups and investors and Joey is their PR. She’s just won an arbitrary competition of hotness on Valleywag. It’s not sexist at all because there’s also a competition for the men of Silicon Valley. The male winner is Om Malik of GigaOm – who is not quite as hot as Joey.

I don’t know about you but I haven’t met a hot chick in all my years of working in the tech industry. Neither have I met any whilst studying in uni. Females, yes. Attractive? No. 😛

All the attractive female professionals that I have come across are mostly in the media (graphics, marketing and ad execs), followed by the occasional hot lawyer, accountant or architect.

Are all the pretty girls afraid of mixing it up with the smelly and socially inept geeks in uni? What is it about us that scare you away like that? Luckily for me, I did a double-degree in Commerce and Engineering so I got to socialise with the girls in Commerce. I got to tell ya – they were soooo much better than those in Engineering.

Woohoo!

What were your experiences like in uni? Were there any hot chicks in the science and engineering degrees when you were in uni? Any now? Were you or are you one? :mrgreen:

Bonus link: The Frag Dolls (safe for work). Oh yeah.

12 thoughts on “Hot chicks in tech

One of the hottest girls I know works for Oracle Japan..therefore making her techie/geeky.In fact, she’s climbed up the corporate ladder enough to be sent all over the world.

She’s so hot, if she wanted me, I would’ve turned lesbian in a sec.And about 10X hotter than the posted pix above

*drools*

Heya…I think the reason chicks don’t do IT and engineering is not because they are afraid of all the geeks but just because things like this don’t appeal to chicks. our brains work differnetly to you guys, and although SOME girls are interested in computer software, to be honest, most of us find it dead boring!
    and if you want to do a course loaded with chicks, do a psych degree! that’s what I did, and it was 80% girls. of the 20% of guys half or almost half were probably gay. I had a couple male friends who were in the small percentage of striaght guys in psych and they were absolutely loving it! of course you gotta be interested in psych to actually do a degree, but some of my guy friends doing commerce would just sit in on the lectures with me every so often cause there were a lot of hot chicks!

3. Simone

That’s funny, I was just talking to my brother the other day. He does something IT at ECU, and there’s a few girls in his classes.
    When he studied IT in The Netherlands (tafe and uni level) there weren’t ANY!

And now, I can’t believe you didn’t mention the IT Goddess calendar in this post! How could you have missed it, it’s even got women from Perth in it!!

4. Tom

Long time lurker, just thought perhaps it’s time to throw in some comments.

I don’t have to look anywhere far actually. My flatmate, a German girl, is working as a software engineer for Motorola and she’s definitely a hottie. Too bad she’s taken, we share a house together with her boyfriend.
    When I was doing engineering at uni, there were only a couple of girls at my year, there were more in subsequent years, and they’re not that bad looking either. There were also lots of Indonesian girls doing IT/software engineering degree that i know of.
    And Simone is right on cue, i’m surprised you forgot to mention the IT Goddess calender business! That was quite a hot topic around the IT forums the last few months. Btw Simone, i like your new revamped Enjoy Perth blog. Too bad there is no more world cup venue to publish eh? 🙂

Just another Medanese (yes, i speak hokkien!) drifting in perth.

sourrain: why you never show me picture????

girlstar7: you have a point about our brains being wired differently. Funny you should mentioned girls doing psych degrees – girls over-analyse much? 😛

Simone: heheh thanks for the link. I actually know about it previously. Though it’s intention was to get girls to do tech, somehow it ended up more for the guys than the girls?

Tom: German and hot? *phew* Oh and thanks for breaking the surface after lurking for a while. 🙂

6. Rob

I don’t know, I thought a few of the Eng girls were okay. There were a couple of girls 2 years ahead of us that were pretty hot.
    Does IT sector include headhunters? cos I’ve had a couple of agents who were like amazon goddess hot. not surprisingly they never failed to get me a pay increase during negotiations. looks, brains and cut-throat negotiators enough to turn a man to jelly :P.

Herman: sad indeed!

Lupin: well we take what we can get. Heh.

Rob: Actually when we were in final year I remember the freshies being a whole lot better than when we were freshies. Damn it!

Headhunters and employment agents, heh. Send a hot chick to bargain with geeks – genius.

8. ront

i was in a university which specialize in many engineering fields….and the whole school’s male:female ratio (during my time) 4:1…and the department of mech engr….male:female was 8:1 and out of that 1 chick in that ratio….most of them are termed as “snow cows”….sad eh?

9. ian

Ahahaha… It has been a constant phenomena that you do not find hot chicks that often in Engineering or Computer Science faculties. Even the male-female ratios are highly imbalanced.

So what you see is, an average looking girl who studies in those fore-mentioned faculties are treated as goddesses. Eyes riveted on them wherever they go.

My personal experience includes an Asian girl whom I thought was really good looking when I saw her in uni, until I bumped into her at a club, she vastly paled in comparison to the general pool. So there you go, Engineering and Computer Science faculties are not as different than beer goggles as we think. Haha!