Come to Perth!

September 29, 2006 7:21 PM

twotribes-dusk

SassyJan’s thinking of coming to Perth, and while coming up with accomodation ideas for her it got me thinking about my friends and family in Singapore and Malaysia, and in New South Wales. None of them would ever think of coming to Perth for a holiday. Usually it is *me* going to them in Sydney, KL, Penang, or Singapore. Why you all so like that ah?!

Me: Eh, come lah, let me pay.
Them: No lah, you are in my town, I pay. Next time I go to Perth, you can treat me.
Me: Yeah well you all always say that but when do you ever come to Perth?
Them: Heheh.

I know what a lot of them think – Perth is such a small place and it’s dull. I don’t know. I would have thought that reading my blog would have dispelled that myth a long time ago. Yes it’s a small place but it has all the facilities of a city but at a lower price and a less hectic pace compared to the other major cities of Australia.

The food here is great though don’t expect truly authentic SE-Asian Food, good as they may be and always getting better. Anyhow you are in Australia, so you should really be trying out the great Italian, Greek, Lebanese and Vietnamese food! Not to mention the seafood, and traditional or “modern” Australian cuisine which is a fusion of everything. Don’t be like an American and go to a foreign country and head for the nearest BK or McD. πŸ˜‰

Even though we have distinct shopping districts like Claremont, Subiaco, and the CBD, I know you wouldn’t come here to shop, so that I can forgive you. But you do come here to have fun, and with me around you can be guaranteed that. We’ve got great pubs (The Deen, The Cott, Queens Hotel, and Brass Monkey just to name a few), and clubs – a sample of the happenings in the Perth clubbing scene can be found here.

You like the beach? We got that too. You like wine? I can take you to Swan Valley. But if you like the countryside, then I’m sorry – you need another tour guide. I am a city person myself. πŸ˜›

dad-me-matsuri

Want more? Then check out the previous list that I wrote of things to do for visitors to Perth. It’s not just a sundry list of touristy things but also a glimpse into how Australians, and specifically Perthites live. Because I believe that a trip where you can live like a local, amongst the locals is the best trip ever – no matter where you go.

So really? Come to Perth! :mrgreen:

Perth's skyline
Uwe R. Zimmer

ADDED September 30 12:13AM
And rats, how could I have forgotten Simone and her site – EnjoyPerth.net? πŸ™‚

[tags]Australia, Western Australia, Perth, tourism[/tags]

16 thoughts on “Come to Perth!

1. Simone

Yay for Perth!

Tips for nature things around Perth:
    Yanchep National Park (has koalas and a cave)
    Serpentine Falls/Serpentine Dam/Mundaring Dam
    John Forrest National Park
    Rottnest Island
    Pinguin Island (near Rockingham)
    Caversham Wildlife Park (in Whiteman Park)

A bit further away(an hour, or few hours)
    Pinnacles Desert/Nambung National Park (north)
    New Norcia (monestry, nice buildings) (north)
    York and Toodyay (east, nice towns)
    Busselton, Cape Naturaliste, Margaret River, Cape Leeuwin etc etc (south).

Ok, that’ll do for now!

(it’s funny I have a blog about Perth city, but I think I know just as much(or maybe more!) about things to do outside of Perth!)

πŸ˜€

Cynthia: sometimes it’s not the place but the people – so even if it’s the same place over and over again, each time is a different experience.

herman: if you are talking about the top picture, thanks! That’s mine. But the bottom one isn’t mine – don’t you see the credit? πŸ˜‰

Simone: hahah yes it is very ironic that you do seem to know more about things about of Perth. Maybe you can start another site – EnjoyWA.net?

3. sassyjan

so… WHERE SHOULD I STAY IN PERTH? hahahha

i wan somewhere near king’s park leh… so i can go for some nice evening walks. den again, is king’s park near to any of the big malls that i can visit when the shopalic in me awakens? i’m not fond of changing hotels. so i wan to stay one place long long … for my whole trip. yea…

*headache* trying to plan my travel itinerary now.

sassyjan: for some reason my comment this afternoon didn’t show up so I just commented again at your post. Just in case, here is what I wrote repeated.

You want somewhere near Kings Park ah? You got a few choices.

1. Best Western Emerald

2. Chifley on the Terrace

3. Rydges Hotel

4. Parmelia Hilton

All are 4-stars and above. And all are in CBD area.

If you don’t mind taking a bus, *then* walk to Kings Park, there’s Acacia in Northbridge which is the nightlife district of Perth.

Hope this helps. πŸ™‚

Simone: not a problem!

BM: slower pace and all that lah! And there’s me here. Hahaha! Seriously though, on a superficial level not much. Especially when SGD is almost equal to AUD. However, going out is a lot cheaper – clubbing, drinks is almost half-priced. And a good bottle of wine is around AUD10, in a restaurant it’d be AUD30.

But it all comes back to: it’s the people that makes the difference. πŸ˜‰

I’m a Melbournian who has been to Sydney and all around Queensland many, many times, visited Adelaide once and Tasmania once also. But I have never been to Perth!! I think the main reason is that it is further away than Syd and Bris and that I dont’ know anyone there (I have good friends in Sydney who I can stay with and the air fare is much cheaper). However, I have always really wanted to go to Perth! all my Melbourne friends who have visited there think it is really nice. so ONE DAY I swear I will get there!
    and I dont’ know if Perth has a dull reputation, I think it is Canberra or Adelaide that has the dull reputation. everyone I know reckons Perth is pretty cool πŸ™‚
    have you ever been to Melbourne? it is definitely THE place to be in Australia; it’s got by far the best shopping, really awesome nightlife, great restaurants and cafes and plenty to do. so yeah, if I ever get to Perth I’ll definitely give you a buzz, if you promise you come to Melbourne and give me a buzz! I’ll take you to the best clubs (everyone knows Melb has the best bars and clubs in Australia!)

girlstar7: Yes I’ve been to Melbourne and loved it. I find that it’s a good middle-ground between Perth and Sydney. Bigger than Perth but not as hectic and chaotic as Sydney.

Yes if I’m headed your way, I’ll definitely give you a buzz. That’s a promise. I need a local to take me clubbing. And you can count on me to do the same for you. πŸ™‚

8. An

dun know leh but I prefer Indiana to Blue Duck. hahah! prob cos me and my friends always used to go there instead of Blue Duck. Did a proj on Blue Duck though. I love walking on the cold cold sand barefooted in winter. VERY NICE!

Perth is nice! But then, it’s the only aussie city that I’ve been to and stayed in. =P

I haven’t gone back to perth for many years liao…

9. Nick

I’m not sure about Perth being cheaper than other places in Australia. I recently moved to Perth from Sydney; Shopping and eating out are more expensive here and the rental market is just as bad as (if not worse than) Sydney.