I’m an Australian! (well, soon anyway)

January 25, 2007 5:57 PM

On a hot summer day, my brother Marvin, my mother and I made our way into town to the Department of Immigration for our Australian citizenship interview. Marvin and I were nonchalant about it, having memorised the responsibilities (4) and privileges of citizenship (6). Mom fretted about like all mothers do, asking us to recite what we’d learnt, telling us to look presentable etc.

In the end, it was anti-climatic. Mom and I had our interview first because we had arrived earlier. The official looked through our papers and application forms, and made us each recite 2 and 3 of the responsibilities and privileges respectively. She then processed our payment (A$120 each) and congratulated us – our applications have been approved and we will receive notification when to attend a citizenship ceremony at our local city hall.

Marvin had it even easier. His interviewer has a Malaysian wife and they chit-chatted about food and KL amongst other things. And the interviewer *told* him what were the responsibilities and privileges of citizenship were. Nice one, brother.

Anyway, from a soon-to-be official Australian, Happy Australia Day mate! 🙂

Mooiness and his beer

14 thoughts on “I’m an Australian! (well, soon anyway)

1. rob

I thought the ceremonies were held on Oz Day at the local City Council Halls. but that would be tomorrow and too short notice.
    All I remember from mine was the food was lousy (cold cocktail franks and cheese on toothpicks) and I managed to “accidentally” grab a glass of wine. but hey I was only 10yo so you can’t blame me for completely missing the point of the ceremony.

2. Yuuka

Congratulations on the citizenship! Not a lot of the people I know want to take that jump and become involved in the voting process etc. This must be a great moment.

Yuuka: I don’t know if I feel “great” about it but it is a significant step in my life. Since I’ve decided to be in Australia for the long term, I felt that it was time I should have a say in how its run. 🙂

4. Yuuka

I`d definitely want to my voice to be heard if I lived somewhere for good(ish). It beats complaining about things and not bothering to do a thing to change them. Bit of a pet peeve really!

5. Lynn

I thought you were an Aussie already! Has it taken you all this time to get an Aussie passport or is it because you’ve never been too bothered to get it earlier ? Have you given up your Malaysian citizenship ? I’m a UK PR but haven’t bothered applying for a British passport as I don’t fancy giving up my Malaysian passport (I’m sentimental). Congratulations!

Yuuka: exactly. 🙂

Lynn: nah all this time I’ve been a Malaysian citizen with Aussie PR. I will have to give up my M’sian citizenship once my Aust. citizenship cert comes through. I don’t even know how one goes about it. But what’s certain is that from that point on, I will only travel with my Australian passport when I get it.

7. Pingback: Mooiness! » G’day mate!

8. Pingback: Mooiness! » My vote counts!