Religious discussion gone to hell in a basket

April 4, 2007 8:21 AM

This is a follow-up to what happened in the comments in a previous post, “Do you believe in Karma?

I accept the blame for bringing up the topic about Christianity and hell, but I don’t apologise for asking the question:

Why are non-Christians condemned to hell regardless of whether they are good or evil?

Seems like a perfectly good question to me, and a non-insulting one at that. I assumed wrong. Why is it that some religious types think that we are insulting their religion when we were merely asking questions and talking about it?

In the bigger scheme of things, 6 billion people floating on a blue planet revolving around a yellow sun, all spinning around in the infinite expanse of the universe is nothing at all. Religious types like to think that there is a higher meaning to life, and that we don’t exist purely to procreate and perpetuate the species.

But what if, it really is just that? Does it make the life that you are having now any less worth living? I don’t think so. Your life now is what you make of it. Arguing about things that may or may not be true, that may or may not happen, and that haven’t been proven scientifically, and sometimes killing others for are a stupendous waste of time, energy and life.

Nature exists and thrives in its diversity. And humans of all kinds will always have their differences so what’s wrong with live and let live? I respect that you believe in that and you respect that I believe in this.

All religions at their core teach peace and harmony for the fellow man but all human beings have used them for, in particular two of those religions and their multiple branches, is to sow hatred and animosity. Why must one submit to the other and vice-versa? Why must it be a zero-sum game?

I’m not saying that other religions are better. And although I’m an atheist, I’m just saying, taken to the extreme religion does more harm than good. Karl Marx said that “religion is the opium of the people“. Well opium is not only addictive, it also kills.

Stop this insanity. Spreading your beliefs is fine but not when it’s condescending, and it becomes hateful when your message is not accepted by others. In short, stop being so un-religious.

[tags]religion[/tags]

13 thoughts on “Religious discussion gone to hell in a basket

1. robin

Hey marcus..
    Oh dear, I hope you did not see my previous comments on ur karma entry as an insult, or have any idea that I was insulted by ur entry. Honest, I was not, and I am always open for discussion when it comes to religion, in peaceful manner of course.

Well, that question is kind of interesting, why non-christians go to hell.

You see, that concept can only apply, if you combine the concept of “karma” and Heaven and hell together.

True Christians do not believe in Karma. We believe that everyone sins. If God is to count all our wrong doings and mistakes, and judge us based on that, none of us deserves heaven. In truth, even Christians do not deserve to go to Heaven, because we are all the same, regardless our faith, we are still sinners. Me being a Christian does not make me a less sinner than non-Christians are. It is actually worse for us Christians in the sense that, we know what our sins are, but we still do it and cannot escape from committing sins, in comparison with those who do not know Christianity and have similar sins.

We do not “do things to earn” our place in Heaven. That is a wrong concept in Christianity, and totally based on Karma, which is not part of Christianity.

I seriously hope those who go around and tell people that they go to hell if they are not Christians can get hold of this concept, that being a Christian yourself doesnt make you any more superior.

I couldn’t agree more with your post. Like you, I am not religious and religion is not part of my life. I accept that some people ARE religious and that they have their own personal beliefs. I have no problem with having friends who are strongly Christian, Buddhist, Jewish or whatever religion they may happen to be. I have a close friend who is a very strong Christian who believes in no sex before marriage, regularly reads The Bible and goes to church every Sunday. That lifestyle is not for me but I accept that it is for her.
    The thing I DO have a problem with is when people try to force religion down your throat. I’ve had Christians tell me that everyone who has sex before marriage will go to hell, that everyone who doesn’t go to chruch will go to hell, and that all Jews will go to hell. This, in my opinion, is ridiculous. I can’t understand why they can’t just live and let live. Just because THEY believe something doesn’t mean EVERYONE ELSE should believe it too.
    Religion causes WAY too many wars. Who cares? We are all human, we should just be able to live in peace…

3. Rob

reminds me of a line from some movie long forgotten.
    basically dude dies and goes to heaven.
    dude: “what’s that wall over there?”
    guide: “oh the Catholics build that so they can think they’re the only ones here”

“And if you tell me that the Bible or the Quran states that there can only be “the one” then I will tell you that that is why I am not a Christian or a Muslim. Arguing and killing each other over what some prehistoric guys said in some equally prehistoric pieces of text which had been cobbled together and translated numerous times by other humans is to me, preposterously stupid.”

Ah. I like.Took the words right out of my mouth

I feel the need to add that ‘DOING THINGS TO EARN A PLACE IN HEAVEN’is NOT the concept of karma.Like I commented in the earlier post,if you are conciously doing something that you think will earn you a place in heaven, that is not good karma.And yes, again, it does feel like an attack on Buddhism.The only reason I am even feeling the need to defend against these attacks is because I don’t want those that are new to buddhism get the wrong idea that buddhism is like touch & go Oyster/Octopus card that collects brownie points everytime he/she do not kill a mosquito.

And for the commentor (dont really remember which one) who told mooiness that he is running out of time to ‘discover christ’; you know what?My sunday school teacher also told me it is never too late to embrace Christ as your personal saviour.If you should want to,of course.

5. DeV|LisH

Fuiyoh i agree with girlstar7! I’m not religious person though i prefer buddhism but that doesn’t mean i hate Christianity.

But it’s the part whereby your christian friends keep telling u to join them or telling u will go to hell if u are a free thinker and no religion. I mean who come back and tell us after death what happen to them or where they been to after death? No offence but we should just live and let live.

I respect your religion and u respect mine. To me all religion are the same no so call who’s God are more mighty than the other God.

Well be happy and cheers everyone. Don’t be so gloomy over this topic =)

Ok I’m glad everyone’s on the same page now. And for future reference, in case you haven’t figured this out already, I’m an equal opportunity criticiser – I don’t care if it’s Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism or Judaism. I will call bullshit whenever I see it.

herman: I never said I was always right – I will willingly fess up if I am wrong. In this instance, it wasn’t about right or wrong either. I presented a logical question and then to which I was told to not talk about things that I didn’t know (that’s why I’m asking questions!) and that there’s still time for me to convert to Christianity (when I never said I wanted to) if I didn’t want to go to hell.

Read carefully.

8. LupinTan

sourrain: I am the one that comment that there isn’t much time left. The Christian believes that we are every near or at end times.

And yes, u are right on the part that u can embrace Christiianity anytime u like.

9. Jewelle

– Arguing and killing each other over what some prehistoric guys said in some equally prehistoric pieces of text which had been cobbled together and translated numerous times by other humans is to me, preposterously stupid –

I totally agree with you.

10. rationalneurotic

sour – yay on “I feel the need to add that ‘DOING THINGS TO EARN A PLACE IN HEAVEN’is NOT the concept of karma.Like I commented in the earlier post,if you are conciously doing something that you think will earn you a place in heaven, that is not good karma.”

I regret that the Crusades happened. If I do get to meet the Big Guy, I’ll ask him what the fuck happened in the Old T times. ahaha. But I think killing is wrong, whatever fuck the reason behind (to do with religion) is. Extremism is wrong, I agree.

Marcus – “I will call bullshit whenever I see it.” 🙂 But will you also call bullshit if it comes from your friends? Just wondering.