Automatic Switch-Off

November 7, 2007 11:09 PM

On Off Switch

kkiser @ stock.xchng

There are a few types of people that I immediately switch off to. They are usually:

• greedy
  • stingy
  • snobbish
  • unhygienic
  • jealous
  • petty
  • small-minded
  • bigoted

The ones that turn me off the quickest are the snobby types. You know the ones. They seem disinterested when you greet them for the first time. The ones with the lame handshake. The ones who don’t acknowledge you the next time you see them – that really riles me up.

Unfortunately for me, my social circle tends to be a little bit incestuous. Everyone is at most two degrees of separation away. I tend to bump into these people from time to time. So the way I deal with them is thus: they don’t give a shit about me, so I won’t give a shit about them. I don’t smile, I don’t look at them, and I certainly don’t care what they think of me. If they hear me bitching about them, all the better.

Sometimes our eyes will meet inadvertently and I will hold it for just a split second longer. They may have heard what I had said or had wrote here, and they know what I think of them. They hate me for it. And now it’s them who’s riled up, and I can see it in their eyes. Hahah!

Yeah I’m just callous that way. Life is short. I don’t need everyone to like me when I can count on my two hands and a little bit more, the people who really matter. They are the ones whom I’d bend over backwards for, and make an effort for. They are the ones whom I’d make up and apologise to if I’d make mistakes.

The rest can just fall off on the side. They are just not worthy of my time or my efforts to figure out why they behave the way they do. I know what is and who is more important, and I definitely want to spend my time being preoccupied by those things and people instead. 🙂

19 thoughts on “Automatic Switch-Off

1. Papa

I have an “on” button but no button labeled “off.” Instead, the button I have is labeled as “Fire Photon Torpedo,” it’s an upgrade from the previous button of “Fiery Death.” ;D

2. alyndabear

There are so many people I’ve met, where my first impressions of them have been pretty average – and still, two years later I don’t really have a connection with them. Particularly at work, in a small teaching staffroom, I have nothing to say to them. I find it incredible how accurate first impressions can SOMETIMES be.

3. jktdo

You’re absolutely right. It is a waste of your time and energy to hunt up after someone when they’re not even polite to you. It’s amazing how some people will be in a serious relationship with someone as discourteous and rude like that.

But I sometimes give the impression that I am snobby. I’m shy and usually can’t think of much to say in the first couple of encounters. Takes me a while to warm up. I wonder if that’s why I have so many extroverted friends …

Papa: haha the your eyes open the gateways to hell kinda thing is it???

alyndabear: the way I see it, it takes very little effort to be polite during the first meeting. And if someone can’t even be bothered with that, it tells a lot of their character.

jktdo: there’s a different between being shy and being snobbish. In my experience, if I’m open and friendly to them, shy people would at least acknowledge my presence, even if it’s with a meek wave or head nod. Snobbish ppl don’t even bother.

5. blur ting

Yah, I totally dislike snobs too.

Oh, how about insincere and self centered people who think the whole world is about them. Sometimes I find talking to people who are not holding a 2-way conversation. All they do is talk about themselves and the wonderful things they’ve done (and keep steering the conversation back to themselves)…regardless of whether you’re listening or not.

6. Yuuka

I LOL-ed @ unhygenic, Mooi! I`m the same and my mom thinks I shouldn`t impose my own standards of cleanliness on people. *Meh* Love my momma but she also thinks I should hand my number out to pervs at pubs so that I can be a cool chick and make new friends (operative word here being pervs).

I`ve been introduced to friends of good friends who roll their eyes at me and look away when I say hi, smile, nod or put my hand out for a shake. I hate that. I`d love to tell my friend not to hang out with these jerkwads but then I`d be the rude one.

blur ting: oh yeah I hate those too. I shall add “inconsiderate” to your list. And usually it’s all from the one person because they just can’t be bothered to care about anyone but themselves.

Yuuka: hahah it’s true you know?! They can look good and all that. They may not even have BO or bad breath – sometimes it’s just the way they eat or drink.

Yeah you can’t really tell your friends to stop hanging out with them, since it’s their friends and not yours. But you don’t have to pretend that you like them either. 😉

8. ront

a thought…..has it ever occurred to you what you described as snobby can be an extreme case of shyness..and your description of “..they don’t give a shit about me, so I won’t give a shit about them. I don’t smile, I don’t look at them, and I certainly don’t care what they think of me.” can be seen as snobby by the other person too?

i live in a place where ppl are so shy sometimes i cant help to feel that they seems to be snobby and I have to keep reminding myself abt that.

nadnut: loving food is ok. Greedy for money is what puts me off. 😛

ront: I explained this in comment #4 above. Even the shy ones would acknowledge you if you approach them with a smile and in a friendly manner, and you have met before. Snobby ones don’t.

10. Teleiophilia

I had a new colleague coming up to me saying: “Hey! You’re the only Chink around here aren’t you? I hope you can write well HAHAHAHA” before he realised he was directly under me.
    He had really horrible breath as well.

Guess that satisfied point 3,4,7 and 8 of your list already… :p

I get really hurt when I smile at people I know for the first time and they would either reply with a really forced watery smile or look away smirking. Some people are just not into universal popularity, are they? 😀

11. Rachel

I get mistaken a lot to be snobby. For one, I am not a very chatty person, I prefer to listen. That makes people think I am stand offish when that is furthest from the truth. Secondly I have a weakness for designer bags and carbon rocks. That makes some people automatically assume I am this materialistic snobbish bitch, which is really sad. I am just a nice quiet girl who likes nice stuff… sigh so misunderstood. Shucks, I hope you don’t think I am snobby too. 😛

12. Rachel

blur ting: “All they do is talk about themselves and the wonderful things they’ve done (and keep steering the conversation back to themselves)…regardless of whether you’re listening or not.”

I don’t know why but I attract these types like honey attract bees… am wildly allergic to these too 🙁

Rachel: like I’ve said, there’s a difference between being quiet/shy and snobbish. It’s all about how you react to the other person, whether you smile or make an effort to acknowledge the person.