Asian woman + White woman pairings

November 26, 2007 8:46 PM

Hang around a cosmopolitan city and you are bound to see many examples of this phenomenon: the Asian woman and white woman pairing. There’s something about them that are strangely alluring to men of all races. It’s like getting two for the price of one. It’s like a hot pocket of exoticness: Asian female for the white men, and white female for the Asian men. Or for the adventurous, the ultimate mΓ©nage-Γ -trois please!

Individually they may not even be the best looking examples of their respective nationalities but when placed in close vicinity together, they amplify each other’s attraction level. The sum is greater than the parts sorta thing, yeah.

And the women know the effect they have on us. You just have to look at their body language and the way they behave in the bars and clubs to know this.

Vogue China coverVogue India cover

Gemma Ward with local pretties
for the first issues of Vogue China and Vogue India

So I know why it works for us men, but why do you think a magazine targeted at women like Vogue does it? It brings up issues of white imperialism and Western standards of beauty being imposed on people of other races. But alas, my puny and shallow male brain made me look past all those deep questions. Pretty is pretty.

And incidentally, Gemma Ward who graces the covers above, is a hot Perth girl. :mrgreen:

Jezebel – Vogue World Domination
Jezebel – Vogue India Debuts With Australian Blonde On Front, Bleeding Heart Inside?

19 thoughts on “Asian woman + White woman pairings

Lupin/smashp0p: heheh I agree. And the Chinese models seem to be saying with their haughty stares, “I’m hawt. You want me, but you can’t.”

Whereas the Indian models seem to be saying, “Hi yes we know we are hawt but you can still talk to us. See, we are smiling.”

you know Gemma Ward is only like 18 or 19? and she’s making millions of dollars modelling and travelling the world! What a life!
    I think it looks exotic to anyone, even women, to see both white and asian women together. It’s the contrast of two pretty women of different ethnicity that creates a good look. πŸ™‚

3. juji

i find myself mentally shrugging.

there’s no comparison to be made here.

it’s just about the fickle nature of fashion.

wanting what you can’t have, etc.

putting gemma on the cover just about guarantees a certain amount of sales and hype, especially in those previously vogue-less territories.

Yeah I have started to see Miranda Kirr everywhere as well. She is the bikini model for Seafolly, and I have seen her on numerous billboards and in women’s magazines. I read an article on her and she is living in New York now. I think she is gorgeous, although I think she’s from either Melb or Syd, not Perth πŸ™‚

juji: you mean what I started talking about, and what Vogue did are two separate things? True but my question was “why Vogue did it”. Putting Gemma on the cover is not automatically a good idea either because the locals may not know who she is.

girlstar7: yeah Miranda’s from QLD originally then moved to NSW.

6. juji

i daresay those who bought vogue that first time, were part of the global legion of fans who had to previously buy american, uk or australian vogue.

part of the reason for “global expansion” by publishers such as conde nast is from watching sales of related (in this case, “sister mags”) in a country.

p.s
    the “no comparison” comment related to

‘So I know why it works for us men, but why do you think a magazine targeted at women like Vogue does it? It brings up issues of white imperialism and Western standards of beauty being imposed on people of other races.’

i know it could seem like there’s definite post-colonial/imperial/east-west undertones, but i don’t think that was their concern.

i think it was more a “look, we’re as cosmpolitan as the next…”

of course, read into that however you wish! (my entire thesis was based on reading into these very issues…)