Daft Punk at Perth Esplanade 2007

December 17, 2007 11:54 PM

daft-punk

The French spacemen descended onto Perth Esplanade on a gloomy Sunday. Forecast for the day were rain and thunder and we all brought our raincoats just in case. Except for a little drizzle, it turned out that we didn’t need them at all. The skies smiled and cleared up for us. Sweet!

An estimated 15,000 to 20,000 people turned up for this very special gig.

daft-punk-punters6 daft-punters7

The cops were there too.

daft-punk-cops daft-punk-cops2

When we got in around 3:30pm, we proceeded to get some drinks and soak in the atmosphere. It was electric – you could feel the buzz in the air. Everyone was quite excited to be here.

daft-punk-food-stands daft-punk-perth-skyline2
redbull-jagermeister-stands daft-punk-punters3

Some punters dressed accordingly for the occasion. 🙂

daft-punk-cool-costumes

Around 5:30pm we got hungry.

me-chip lydia-chip

After a few more drinks …

jagermeister-stand

We got our silly faces on.

lydia-simon-mask me-mask

As we got closer to the scheduled starting time of 8:30 pm …

daft-punk-bell-tower2 daft-punk-stage-crowd2

The crowd started to thicken towards the stage.

daft-punk-punters9 daft-punk-girls-on-shoulders2

The supporting acts warmed up the crowd quite well. When Daft Punk came on, the crowd went berserk.

daft-punk-silhouttes2 daft-punk-hands
daft-punk-girl-waving daft-punk-punters10

More photos including the usual gallery of perfect strangers can be found in my Daft Punk Flickr set.

Daft Punk put on a fantastic show – the lighting special effects that are part of their act were phenomenal. The 1.5 hour show felt short but that was probably because time really flies when you are having fun! The three of us had an awesome time.

me-simon-lydia-crowd

I’ll let the highlight clip (11:27) complete the story.

Daft Punk Perth 007 from Marcus Ooi on Vimeo.

16 thoughts on “Daft Punk at Perth Esplanade 2007

1. sophia

OMG!!! The lights were awesome!!!! So wasted that I didn’t go. Saw my friends at the city and Northbridge that afternoon, all of them were heading to Daft Punk! Envious… If i were there, I will be like a bug chasing the lights. ^^

2. Katie

That last pic is awesome for a number of reasons – 1) the girl on the left looking down at her boobs, 2) the girl behind your friend in the middle looks like she is about to smack his head between her hands, and 3) the girl on the right texting someone.

😀

I missed out on Daft Punk tickets but I heard awesome things about their show in Melbs so I’m sure their show in Perth was equally good. Apparently both the music and the lighting made for an amazing atmosphere.
    In Melbs there were quite a few people who OD’d and ended up being taken off by the ambos. Don’t know if the same thing happened in Perth but it’s always sad to hear that people ruin their night/day by taking too many drugs at these things and instead of ending their night on a good note, end it unconscious in hospital.
    Here’s to safe partying, people! 🙂

Katie: heheh now that you mentioned it … boobies!

alyndabear: yeah it was – other ppl’s excitement is contagious and enhances your own. 🙂

girlstar7: I wouldn’t know if there was an OD or not as I was smack bang in the middle of the massive crowd. but yeah people who overdo it are just silly. At an event like this, you can go “au naturel” and it’d still be an awesome time.

5. weiliang

hey, stumbled here while bloghopping from bm’s sometime ago.

i’ve been in perth for the past 2.5 years. think i saw u at a couple of events like fmf and definitely saw u at daft punk. wanted to say hi but the toilet queues shd explain it for me.

blur ting: thank ye for your kind words. 🙂

And yes it was most fun! I love outdoor gigs as well because there’s so much space to roam around. Although it did get a little tight when everyone started squeezing in towards the front.

wei liang: hi! wondrously small world we live in, innit? And yes I’m assuming you were stuck in the ridiculous queues for the toilets – in that case I can understand completely that you couldn’t come up to say hi. Losing your spot would have meant peeing in your pants! :mrgreen:

Hopefully next time we’d have the chance to say hi.

7. weiliang

i’m flying back to sg so my next event would prob be fmf again or i heard that avb is coming again, dunno how true it dat.

BUT daft punk was sick, i’m actually a lil depressed cos i was looking forward to it for the past couple of months…so after i sobered up the next arvo, i was feeling absolutely lost. lol

weiliang: I’ll be going to Summadayze and FMF. And AvB is most likely to come back again – he had such a great reception here in June.

Haha I understand your feeling of lost. Like dunno what to do now.

9. Pingback: Mooiness! » Future Music Festival Perth 2008