Buying a house – yeeks!

October 25, 2008 6:57 PM

The past few days have seen my parents pushing me to buy a house. It’s not because they want me to move out, or because I want to move out. It’s because of the government increasing the first home buyer grant to $21,000, and at a time when interest rates have fallen.

My parents are chipping in a little for the deposit and we are looking to get a piece of land, and a house built on it for around $380,000 – $400,000.

To be honest, they are more keen on the idea than I am. They are old school when it comes to home ownership, and think that it is essential for a person to own a place of their own. At first I had told them that I’d get a place when I marry someone because it’s easier to pay off a home loan when there’s double income. But in light of the government’s increased incentive, and plus they are willing to help me out, I’ve basically ran out of excuses not to buy a house.

A house would be a part of my long term investment plans I guess. Rather than letting the bulk of my money sit in a high interest bank account, I will be dumping it all into buying a house. I think that’s probably most daunting for me, the sudden loss of financial liquidity that would be a result.

Although, what’s also exciting will be choosing my own design, fittings and furniture. And electronics and appliances. All of which are costs on top of the price of the house and land. Hopefully, my ability to enjoy my social life will not be affected. That’s all I care about really. I’ve got the right priorities, right? 😛

18 thoughts on “Buying a house – yeeks!

1. brunette

Awww Mooiness, congrats! We’re almost finished building our second house in the southern suburbs, I’m definitely a builder, not a buyer, for the exact reasons you stated – I love the total control over all the details!

One tip – POWERPOINTS! It seems you can never have enough. And don’t forget the TV point and Phone point. See it happen allll the time and you have to saw a dirty great hole in the wall to get it done later.

2. blur ting

Oh, that’s so exciting! The way I see it, your social life shouldn’t be affected, maybe will be improved!;-)

You’ll start watching your expenses though and of course you’ve got to do house work!

blur ting: although, I dunno if I’d move out straight away after the house has been built. Heheh. 😛

BigZ: ah you’ve had the same talk with your folks too eh? Good luck with it!

4. Blinkymummy

i knew it… we have to shift to australia!

but first, we will stay over at your place!! SO EXCITING!!! our turn to buy you a housewarming gift!!

bm: heheh, was this one of the signs that you needed to help you decide??? but yeah, big decision this is. And I AM excited, though more by the thought of choosing the designs/fittings etc, and less by the thought of leaving my parents’ comfy nest. 😛

That is so exciting! It’ll be so cool to walk into a house knowing that it’s actually YOURS and not anyone else’s. Plus you get to do exciting things like pick out furniture!
    And you know my theory about guys over a certain age living at home too…bout time you got your own place (I know what you’re going to say, but that’s how MOST girls think)…
    Keep us updated on what’s going on there! 🙂

7. Clarasays

Good one Mooi! Now you just have to pick the type of brick, wood, benchtop, colours, window styles, timber.. 🙂

You’ll love it when it’s all done and you have a housekeeper to dust it though!

girlstar7: it’s all very exciting yes, but I’m stressing mildly now how much I’d need to spend to deck out the place. It’s gonna be a very protracted process.

Clara: haha yes, every single thing! And what housekeeper?! That search is still in progress. Hahah!

nadnut: no problem. I rather have company than be home alone. 🙂