Leeds August 2012

October 8, 2012 9:11 PM


On my fourth day after arriving in the UK, I caught a 2-hour train-ride from Kings Cross, London out to Leeds to catch up with Lynn Mei. She’s a long time friend from my high school days in KL (Form 1 and Form 2). I thought I hadn’t seen her for at least 10 years but after reminiscing over old stories, I realised that we did see each other just a few years back when we were both in KL at the same time which was a rarity.


This was my first meal there – diced steak pie with peas and mash, with a pint of lager. £5. Bargain. :)


After lunch, Lynn Mei took me for a quick tour of the city. It’s v. pretty. I like it very much.


These golden mailboxes were to commemorate the extraordinary success of London Olympic athletes who hail from Yorkshire, of which Leeds is a part of – 7 gold medals in total.


I can’t remember which arcade is this. So nice though. I think we ducked through here to go to a bar that was hidden away in an alley.


And speaking of bars, after a quick stop at Lynn Mei’s apartment to drop off my bag we went off on our bar crawl. It started at around 4 or 5pm and in about 7 hours, and I think we covered 5 or 6 places. Lotsa drinks were consumed. Even if Lynn Mei didn’t touch any of it. She’s pregnant you see. I think she enjoys it vicariously. Heheh.

Me and Lynn's hubby, Chris

This is the drinking group of the night – me and a bunch of Yorkshiremen. :)


Dinner was at a nice tapas place and after that, more drinks were consumed! One of the nicer places that Lynn brought us to was Friends of Ham. It was decked out like someone’s living room. It was really cool.


Another was 51% Bourdon – yeah, those are ALL different types of bourbon whiskey.


The last stop of the night was an intimate bar/lounge called Smokestack. It was very happening but too bad we were too tired and too boozed up to boogie. So we bought some kebabs and called it a night.


We needed the rest for the next day was gonna be Leeds Festival. woot. Before we headed out for a quick breakfast and a bus ride to the festival grounds, Lynn prepared bottles of liquor for those of us drinking and that we were going to bring to the camping grounds. She’s a real pro at it. Those bottles of water aren’t really. Heheh.


Lynn had a tent set up by one of her friend’s friend for the duration of the festival. The tent will be her resting station – she wasn’t going to actually camp. Although I’m gonna be there for day 1 of the festival only, Lynn’s gonna be attending the whole 3 days of it.


This being England, people were prepared for rain and the resultant soggy mud. Some of their wellies were pretty snazzy.


The main stage was crazy packed.


So some chose to hang back and brought their own chairs. Clever.


And there were also a few parents with their kids which I thought were very cool. This mum was sensible to give her daughter ear muffs. It did get really loud in some places.


My three favourite discoveries of the day were 1. Yorkshire Pudding …


which consisted of pulled pork and chips, smothered in grazy and mustard and all contained in a little pastry bowl. Good stuff.


2. Turbonegro, a Norwegian punk rock band.


and 3. Money to encourage people to pick up used cups and to bring them back for recycling/waste collection. I thought this was a brilliant idea. Some people have stacks of the cups. At 10p each, you can make quite a few quid.


The day was finished off by a 2.5 hour set by The Foo Fighers …


and fireworks.


We got home around midnight and we were all exhausted. The next day I would be catching the 12pm train back to London.

I arrived in Leeds at around 2pm on a Thursday and I headed back to London on a Saturday and I enjoyed every minute of it. Catching up with Lynn Mei after all these years was amazing enough but for her to show me such an awesome time there was pure joy. Thanks so much again Lynn Mei! :)


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *